Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ray Bradbury Musical

Yes, yes, yes, I am writing about Ray Bradbury. Consider this post one of admiration for Who Noor Might Marry (for shizzle--thanks Snoop Dogg) Installment Two. Too bad he's in love with Bo Derrek.
Bo Derrek, before she became a Playboy model.

Thanks, New Haven mommies, for giving me a love for old men!

But honestly, I really want to see this musical. Here's the story: It's the year 2116 and a married couple of forty years is getting tired of waking up to each others' crinkly faces each morning. Enter the androids. They are traveling as door-to-door salesmen. What are they peddling? Marionettes, of course: custom androids, of course. The poor couple decides to give each other androids of their younger, sexier selves for Christmas and learn an important lesson: that by growing old with someone you love, you can keep your youth. Androids represent more than machines and catalysts for a great realization of undying love in this musical; they represent life becoming mechanical, and the lack of attention given to love. A robot may be good for lots of things, but you don't need a robot to see that you need someone.

"Wisdom 2116" is playing at the Fremont Center Theater in South Pasadena until February 27th. You can be linked to an informational page by clicking on the title of my post.



At his home in Los Angeles, Ray Bradbury explains his sappy love story: "the message in life is, love is everything...I'm a mamma's boy, I'm a sissy," he explained.

Ray on computers: "I hate them."
Yes, I realize I'm using a computer to say, I love you Ray Bradbury. I cried when I found out I missed your visit to the library two years ago.
Ray Bradbury when he was old, but not that old. And he likes kitties! My heart's melting...

Bradbury wrote the musical 55 years ago, for Charles Laughton and his wife who were about the same age as his fictional couple. Now 89 years old, he understands old age and old love. But he also understands his stories. He speaks of being invited into a circus tent as a kid. "I was twelve years old...I wanted to grow up and be a magician, and that's what happened, isn't it? I'm a magician, and you'll believe anything I tell you. And I'll live forever, so help me God."

OK, it's This American Life time. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment