Saturday, September 26, 2009

Oh Buddy


Oh man. Buddy Wakefield AND Anis Mojgani AND Mindy Nettifee in the same show? This is so amazing. I first heard Buddy Wakefield almost two years ago at a local reading and he blew my mind. He's a funny-looking white, bald man who's got something of the boy about him, but oh man oh my his voice stole away my blinks and my breath for about 45 minutes, and took hold of my mind for about six weeks, during which I wrote him a long, long poem, and he's lodged himself singing somewhere in my frontal cortex ever since. He's an international slam poetry winner, and if you get the chance to see him live, then do. Because you won't be disappointed. He will compose syllabic sonatas in your brain. But don't watch his youtube videos. Because even the well-shot ones can't capture the wonder you sense when you see his finicky jittery person performing, when you shake his hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment