Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Work In Progress

I must post a warning before this poem--
DISCLAIMER: My windows didn't burst into a million silver spears from Zeus when I put the pen down on this poem; it has a decidedly unfinished feel to me. I may even take both of the poems I posted today down at some point, when the embarrassment kicks in. But for now you can enjoy my shamelessness.


We are written in the wee hours
when the world is too loopy on blood
flow to think straight (or to
care for neatly-stacked thoughts) and
has time to breathe
deeply
and feel
heavy
and examine the freckles on our
fingertips.
and to decide to play connect
the
dots for
one
last
time.

Who said the oysters have grown up?
Who said the sycamore that's
spreading its arms
apart in our very lungs,
in our ticking tissue-paper pocket protectors,
isn't still learning how to push

pestiferous people out
of its path so it can
breathe some? Who
wrote these so-called histories
of the heart anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment